The Florida Association of Kennel Clubs, Inc. (FAKC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of animals, especially pure bred dogs. It is a "Club of Clubs", with its members being dog clubs throughout the State of Florida which are affiliated with the American Kennel Club (AKC). The FAKC has no individual members.
Not a Member of FAKC Yet?
If your Florida dog club is a member of the American Kennel Club (AKC) or an AKC licensed affiliate, your club may join the Florida Association of Kennel Clubs. Download a Membership Application now!
FAKC was formed in the 1950's. Through our member clubs and their membership we represent thousands of dog enthusiast's who possess a wealth of information and experience. FAKC assists member clubs by providing information, support, promoting AKC events, and education. AKC has a number of events tailored for dogs and their owners. If conformation is your passion or agility, rally, obedience, or Canine Good Citizen title AKC has fun events to offer further strengthening the human animal bond.
Since our membership represents some of the best and most experienced members in the area of animal welfare we are in a unique position to assist in disaster relief, promote responsible dog ownership, and educate the public on proper care and training issues. FAKC supports responsible breeding practices and has a referral system to aid prospective owners in finding that special dog and breeder. FAKC supports legitimate rescue groups through networking, funding, and community outreach.
FAKC has a strong group of members that specialize in solutions to animal issues within the community. We are always available to provide information, assistance, and the benefit of our experience to local and state governments. Additionally we also have a group that is trained to assist in disaster situations. FAKC can always be counted on to aid the animals in all major disasters. It is the intention of FAKC to be an asset to the community in any way we can and promote the human animal bond. We also try to have a good time doing it. If your club has not joined please consider doing so. We are a great group of dog enthusiast's!
What We Stand For and What We Do
The purpose of the FAKC is to foster and enhance the welfare of pure bred dogs and the dog fancy by any lawful means, including, but not limited to, the following:
1. Assisting and encouraging Florida organizations of dog fanciers to promote dog shows, obedience trials, performance events, and matches.
2. Providing a communications link between all clubs for dissemination of information, exchange of ideas regarding common problems, and coordinated action towards the common cause.
3. Educating the dog fancy and the general public of technological advances in canine care and the sociological ramifications of the sport.
4. Educating the general public to the advantages of pure bred dogs, canine health and welfare, canine deportment standards, training, and canine population control.
5. Promoting humane treatment of all animal life.
6. Maintaining cognizance of local, statewide, and national trends which may affect the environment in which the fancy operates.
7. Supporting the college of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Florida and other similar institutions, financially, and by policy.
The FAKC serves the state-wide community by:
1. Tracking legislative activity which would impact animals.
2. Publicizing the sport of dogs as practiced by the dog clubs of Florida. (See EVENTS).
3. Maintaining a Breeders Directory for the State of Florida as a reference whereby prospective puppy buyers can find reputable breeders.
4. Providing food, water, veterinary supplies, veterinary services, temporary homes, tracking, and assorted equipment for animals displaced by disasters, such as hurricanes, tornados, wild fires, man-made catastrophe, etc.
5. Serving as a source of reliable information for all who have questions and/or problems dealing with dogs.
6. Disseminating information on animal welfare, care and responsibility.